Sunday, June 27, 2010

overtaken by a rush of emotion.


while i was getting ready today i was overtaken by, as nienie states it, a rush of emotion.

while i was doing my hair.. i thought of my grandma taylor.

my thoughts raced instantly back to Thanksgiving break 2008. while in the denver airpot i got a call from my dad.

"we won't be picking you up today from the airport. grandma had a stroke and is in the hospital."

i started bawling. right then and there... in the crowded denver airport.

about five days later it is now Thanksgiving day, grandma was allowed to leave the hospital for a short period of time... simply to enjoy the good ol' turkey dinner.

i rush over to my grandma's house with my curling iron in my hand.

as my grandma sits in her favorite recliner, i curl her hair.
"grandma, i'm going to make you look beautiful"

this simple memory flooded my thoughts as i was fixing my own hair.

......


i can still hear her voice.. one of my most cherished sounds on this earth.

i can still see her smile... her laugh... the glow in her eyes.

sometimes when i walk by a smoker, i pause briefly.. full of nostalgia.. reminiscing tender moments i shared with my grandmother, my mentor, my friend at her kitchen table. i was usually asking questions... and she would open her library of knowledge unto me.

i always thought, and still think, my grandma was one of the most intelligent people ever.

my ears yearn for my grandma to call me stephy.

my heart yearns for it.


today, i was overtaken by a rush of emotion.



1 comment: